Subject: bug#16740: 24.2; Please allow C-p and C-n in minibuffer

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:22:21 +0100

Ed Avis <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think the best way to resolve it is to make C-p and C-n work in
> the Emacs minibuffer to get the previous and next lines from the
> history, just as M-p and M-n do.  Since the minibuffer is almost
> always a single line of text, the bindings to previous-line and
> next-line aren't helpful in the minibuffer.

IMHO it should be rather the other way round, and bash/readline should
be changed.  When editing a multiline minibuffer then C-n/C-p should
just navigate within it.  In readline there doesn't seem to be a way to
go to the previous line of a multiline buffer except by horizonal
movement over the newline, which is annoying.

Note that in Emacs the cursor keys already work like M-n/M-p.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."