Subject: Re: bug#16740: 24.2; Please allow C-p and C-n in minibuffer

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:53:06 +0100

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> But we could make C-p/C-n jump to the previous/next history element
>> when called from the first/last line, which would combine both
>> behaviors. The implementation should be careful to make sure that
>> C-p followed by C-n brings you back to the same position (same for
>> C-n followed by C-p), otherwise such behavior can get irritating
>> when you accidentally hit C-p from the first line.
>
> Just makes the user interaction more confusing.
>
> In particular, in some cases it might not be obvious to a user
> that s?he is at the last line, or s?he might not notice that fact.
>
> Or s?he might intentionally hold down `C-n' or `C-p' to get to the
> end or start without counting or looking after each keypress.
>
> YAGNI.

That's exactly what I think.

I've just filed a request to the Bash developers ([email-masked])
about this [1].  Let's see what they say...

--- footnotes ---

[1] But it doesn't appear yet at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2014-02/index.html

-- 
Dani Moncayo