Subject: bug#16737: Timed out waiting for reply from selection owner

From: Oleh Krehel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:43:30 +0100

>> The thing is, I don't know how to get a backtrace - I'm only a novice
>> with GDB.  I was hoping someone would post a sequence of commands to
>> get a proper backtrace for this problem.
>
> During those 5 seconds, attach GDB to the Emacs process:
>
>   $ gdb -p PID
>
> where PID is the numeric process ID of Emacs; you can find that out
> in advance, before you start the reproducing sequence, and prepare the
> above command line, so that all you need to do is hit RET.
>
> Then, when GDB displays its prompt "(gdb)", type this:
>
>   thread apply all bt
>
> This will show a backtrace of every thread in the Emacs process.

Thanks, Eli,

The problem wasn't surfacing for a while, but I've got a backtrace now:

Thread 4 (Thread 0x7f4a3a467700 (LWP 25777)):
#0  0x00007f4a40d23f7d in poll () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:81
#1  0x00007f4a43cee6a4 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2  0x00007f4a43cee7ac in g_main_context_iteration () from
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3  0x00007f4a43cee7f9 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#4  0x00007f4a43d130f5 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#5  0x00007f4a41005f6e in start_thread (arg=0x7f4a3a467700) at
pthread_create.c:311
#6  0x00007f4a40d309cd in clone () at
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:113

Thread 3 (Thread 0x7f4a38fc1700 (LWP 25778)):
#0  0x00007f4a40d23f7d in poll () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:81
#1  0x00007f4a43cee6a4 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2  0x00007f4a43ceeb0a in g_main_loop_run () from
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3  0x00007f4a44a38b66 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0
#4  0x00007f4a43d130f5 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#5  0x00007f4a41005f6e in start_thread (arg=0x7f4a38fc1700) at
pthread_create.c:311
#6  0x00007f4a40d309cd in clone () at
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:113

Thread 2 (Thread 0x7f4a32f82700 (LWP 25779)):
#0  0x00007f4a40d23f7d in poll () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:81
#1  0x00007f4a43cee6a4 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2  0x00007f4a43cee7ac in g_main_context_iteration () from
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3  0x00007f4a32f89a9d in ?? () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
#4  0x00007f4a43d130f5 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#5  0x00007f4a41005f6e in start_thread (arg=0x7f4a32f82700) at
pthread_create.c:311
#6  0x00007f4a40d309cd in clone () at
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:113

Thread 1 (Thread 0x7f4a463109c0 (LWP 25774)):
#0  0x00007f4a40d28eb9 in __pselect (nfds=nfds@entry=31,
readfds=readfds@entry=0x7fff47ceea30,
    writefds=writefds@entry=0x0, exceptfds=exceptfds@entry=0x0,
timeout=<optimized out>,
    timeout@entry=0x7fff47cef010, sigmask=sigmask@entry=0x0) at
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/pselect.c:78
#1  0x00000000005c38de in xg_select (fds_lim=31,
rfds=rfds@entry=0x7fff47cef1d0, wfds=wfds@entry=0x0,
    efds=efds@entry=0x0, timeout=timeout@entry=0x7fff47cef010,
sigmask=sigmask@entry=0x0)
    at xgselect.c:114
#2  0x0000000000591be9 in wait_reading_process_output
(time_limit=<optimized out>,
    nsecs=<optimized out>, read_kbd=read_kbd@entry=0,
do_display=do_display@entry=false,
    wait_for_cell=12526611, wait_proc=wait_proc@entry=0x0,
just_wait_proc=just_wait_proc@entry=0)
    at process.c:4575
#3  0x00000000004cdc57 in x_get_foreign_selection
(selection_symbol=<optimized out>, target_type=8544,
    time_stamp=<optimized out>, frame=18223301) at xselect.c:1204
#4  0x000000000055474b in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>,
args=<optimized out>) at eval.c:2718
#5  0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
    args_template=2, nargs=30, args=0x3) at bytecode.c:919
#6  0x0000000000554310 in funcall_lambda (fun=140734398134224,
nargs=nargs@entry=2,
    arg_vector=0x97c684 <pure+1310180>,
arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cef778) at eval.c:2874
#7  0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=3, args=0x7fff47cef770) at eval.c:2768
#8  0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
    args_template=48, nargs=55, args=0x3) at bytecode.c:919
#9  0x0000000000554310 in funcall_lambda (fun=140734398134592,
nargs=nargs@entry=1,
    arg_vector=0x97c204 <pure+1309028>,
arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cef8f0) at eval.c:2874
#10 0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fff47cef8e8) at eval.c:2768
#11 0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
    args_template=0, nargs=28, args=0x2) at bytecode.c:919
#12 0x0000000000554310 in funcall_lambda (fun=140734398134960,
nargs=nargs@entry=0,
    arg_vector=0x97c32c <pure+1309324>,
arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cefa60) at eval.c:2874
#13 0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fff47cefa58) at eval.c:2768
#14 0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
    args_template=140734398134872, nargs=14, args=0x1) at bytecode.c:919
#15 0x00000000005541f2 in funcall_lambda (fun=132226757, nargs=nargs@entry=2,
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cefd60) at eval.c:2940
#16 0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=3,
args=args@entry=0x7fff47cefd58) at eval.c:2768
#17 0x0000000000555ae0 in Fapply (nargs=3, args=0x7fff47cefd58) at eval.c:2279
#18 0x000000000055468a in Ffuncall (nargs=4, args=0x7fff47cefd50) at eval.c:2687
#19 0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
    args_template=0, nargs=1, args=0x4) at bytecode.c:919
#20 0x0000000000554310 in funcall_lambda (fun=140734398136080,
nargs=nargs@entry=1,
    arg_vector=0x1058d74, arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cefec0) at eval.c:2874
#21 0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fff47cefeb8) at eval.c:2768
#22 0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
    args_template=14, nargs=140734398135984, args=0x2) at bytecode.c:919
#23 0x00000000005541f2 in funcall_lambda (fun=57990093, nargs=nargs@entry=0,
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cf00a0) at eval.c:2940
#24 0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fff47cf0098) at eval.c:2768
#25 0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
    args_template=10, nargs=140734398136464, args=0x1) at bytecode.c:919
#26 0x00000000005541f2 in funcall_lambda (fun=63156909, nargs=nargs@entry=2,
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cf0280) at eval.c:2940
#27 0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=3, args=0x7fff47cf0278) at eval.c:2768
#28 0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
    args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x3) at bytecode.c:919
#29 0x00000000005541f2 in funcall_lambda (fun=63156525, nargs=nargs@entry=1,
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cf0520) at eval.c:2940
#30 0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=2,
args=args@entry=0x7fff47cf0518) at eval.c:2768
#31 0x000000000055021a in Ffuncall_interactively (nargs=2,
args=0x7fff47cf0518) at callint.c:258
#32 0x000000000055468a in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=3,
args=args@entry=0x7fff47cf0510) at eval.c:2687
#33 0x0000000000550d72 in Fcall_interactively (function=<optimized
out>, record_flag=<optimized out>,
    keys=<optimized out>) at callint.c:864
#34 0x000000000055475f in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>,
args=<optimized out>) at eval.c:2714
#35 0x0000000000587d45 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=31,
vector=140734398130736, maxdepth=0,
    args_template=108, nargs=140734398138224, args=0x4) at bytecode.c:919
#36 0x0000000000554310 in funcall_lambda (fun=0, nargs=nargs@entry=1,
    arg_vector=0x90f794 <pure+863988>,
arg_vector@entry=0x7fff47cf08f8) at eval.c:2874

#37 0x0000000000554593 in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=2,
args=args@entry=0x7fff47cf08f0) at eval.c:2768
#38 0x000000000055487a in call1 (fn=fn@entry=14976, arg1=<optimized
out>) at eval.c:2560
#39 0x00000000004f2b14 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1518
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
#40 0x0000000000552e3b in internal_condition_case
(bfun=bfun@entry=0x4f2700 <command_loop_1>,
    handlers=handlers@entry=19392, hfun=hfun@entry=0x4e9720
<cmd_error>) at eval.c:1334
#41 0x00000000004e4e1c in command_loop_2 (ignore=ignore@entry=0) at
keyboard.c:1139
#42 0x0000000000552d43 in internal_catch (tag=tag@entry=45984,
    func=func@entry=0x4e4e00 <command_loop_2>, arg=arg@entry=0) at eval.c:1095
#43 0x00000000004e4dd7 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1118
#44 0x00000000004e9358 in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:728

#45 0x00000000004e9675 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:799
#46 0x0000000000415a3e in main (argc=<optimized out>,
argv=0x7fff47cf0cb8) at emacs.c:1612