Subject: Re: bug#16735: Not very useful "Keywords:" headers in some elpa packages

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 16:32:37 -0500

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 14:12:26 -0500 Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote: 

>> Why should it?
SM> Because the finder keywords are not magical.  They're just a starting
SM> point for very general classification.  But it makes a lot of sense to
SM> put an "ocaml" keyword on ocaml-mode, tuareg-mode and merlin since all
SM> 3 provide functionality for ocaml.  Similarly it makes a lot of sense to
SM> use a "completion" keyword for company, icomplete, auto-complete,
SM> completion-ui, semantic, etc...

SM> What I mean is that there's no reason to separate the two.  What the UI
SM> could do, OTOH is to only "buttonize" those keywords that appear in more
SM> than one package.

OK, but the original report here was to prune these keywords.  So do I
fix the UI (since I created the buttons) as you suggest or do I prune
the keywords as Glenn suggested?

SM>         Stefan "who doesn't like the finder keywords very much anyway.
SM>                 I mean, «convenience»?  «tools»?"

Yes, I agree, and extra points for the fancy quotations :)

Ted