Subject: Re: bug#16735: Not very useful "Keywords:" headers in some elpa packages

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 13:21:16 -0500

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 13:08:32 -0500 Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote: 

GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Keywords is supposed to match the finder keywords.

GM> Is it? Exclusively?
GM> I used to think that, but I don't even know any more...
GM> So many people use it for random "here's a list of any word I could
GM> think of that is even vaguely related to this file".

I know, so I'm saying let's give them a new "Tags" header for that
purpose and gently encourage them to start using it.

>> Authors want a way to tag their packages with arbitrary keywords =
>> tags.

GM> Calendar uses "Human-Keywords" for that, but no-one else does AFAICS.

GM> IMO it is a shame "Keywords" was not called "Finder-Keywords" from the
GM> start, if that is really what it was supposed to be.

Yes, I agree.

GM> Anyway, all I was hoping to get from this bug report is that Someone
GM> would add the relevant finder keywords (languages, etc) to elpa.gnu.org
GM> packages that lack them.

I can do it, but in the process would like to start using Tags.  Then we
have something to offer the authors so their intended tags (which
presumably are valuable) are not lost.

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 13:05:22 -0500 Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote: 

>> Keywords is supposed to match the finder keywords.

SM> No, they don't have to.  But it's a good idea if they do.

Right.

SM> And same would hold for "Tag".

Why should it?  It would be a new header, intended for arbitrary
strings, with no baggage.  IOW you'd see

Keywords: language
Tags: mustache,handlebars

Does that make sense?
Ted