Subject: bug#16733: messed up unicode chars in package description

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:30:46 +0100

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> IMO this could be a bug in whatever script generates elpa webpages.
> Seems like it should specify a charset, based on coding:, if present.

Or a misconfiguration in the Apache server.

> Seems fine to me for 24.4. It's a minor issue.
> Maybe reopen this as a reminder to revisit it afterwards (or new report).

I'm OK with that.

> (BTW, I'm surprised if url.el does not have a way to handle 404s.)

Perhaps I haven't been clear enough. url has ways to deal with it;
url-retrieve(-synchronously) return the status code in the buffer
along other HTTP responses. It's url-insert-file-contents which
ignores it.

The way they are implemented, you can use url-insert, check the status
in the resulting buffer, and lose the additional coding checks that
url-insert-file-contents does, or you can use
url-insert-file-contents, and lose the status check (because
url-insert-file-contents does not give back the buffer it gets from
url-retrieve-synchronously).