Subject: bug#16733: closed (Re: bug#16733: messed up unicode chars in package description)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:26:04 +0000

Your bug report

#16733: messed up unicode chars in package description

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16733: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16733
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16733: messed up unicode chars in package description
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:24:18 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> GNU what?! ;)

Oh, you know, the webpage of these barbarian free-software advocates
who speak the world's second language in number of native speakers
(after Mandarin) ;-)

> I wonder if url.el has/should have a facility for fetching urls and
> automatically decoding them according to the charset they claim to be
> in?

Perhaps it has, but url/*.el has 32 files; I'm not going to delve into
it right now ;-)  If it has the facility and a better fix than mine is
possible, fine (my fix isn't complex, removing it is trivial). And if
not, certainly adding that feature is a post-freeze endeavour.

Subject: messed up unicode chars in package description
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:47:36 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs
Version: 24.3

(Also in current trunk.)

emacs -Q
M-x list-packages RET

Select "ascii-art-to-unicode"

Scroll down the description past the part that says "M-x aa2u RET".
The buffer is completely messed up at this point, showing raw
characters instead of the unicode box that you see if you visit the raw
source file for the package. See attached image.