Subject: bug#16730: ls -dF double trailing slash bug

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:58:55 -0700

On 02/12/2014 09:52 AM, Eric Blake wrote:

> ls -F is merely appending the indicator on the end of the name as you
> typed it in, even if it results in what looks like a double indicator.
> 
> Where it gets interesting is on systems where / and // are distinct, but
> for consistency, we still do:
> 
> $ \ls -Fd / //
> //  ///

Further note that if you add --color, you can see the difference:

$ ls -Fd --color=always / // | od -tc
0000000 033   [   0   m 033   [   3   8   ;   5   ;   2   7   m   / 033
0000020   [   0   m   /  \n 033   [   3   8   ;   5   ;   2   7   m   /
0000040   / 033   [   0   m   /  \n
0000047

The file name you typed is colored, while the trailing / indicator added
by -F is not colored.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org