Subject: bug#16704: git topmost commit reauthored

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 21:25:07 -0800

I pushed a patch contributed by Norihiro Tanaka (albeit with changes
made by me) and inadvertently left the "Author:" field showing my own
name rather than Norihiro's.  I have just taken the unusual step of
replacing that topmost commit with a reauthored version.  This is a
good reason for maintainers to require that all patch submissions be
sent in a form that makes preserving authorship automatic.

If you have pulled that original commit
(c28c90bc17b61e355bbad757e26a7027feb57fe1) and now
attempt to pull, you'll have trouble.

To work around it, first ensure you're on the master branch and have
no local changes:

    git checkout master

"git diff" should show no local, uncommitted changes.
Run "git log -1" to ensure that the topmost commit is not yours.

Now, run this to reset the head of master to the commit preceding the
one I changed:

    git reset --hard c5cb52ecb97af4bf052e1c1366b8eb93a54ba6a0

With that, you may once again pull without trouble.

If this all seems too complicated and you have no local changes or
branches, just re-clone.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Jim