Subject: Re: bug#16697: 24.3.50; ERC scrolltobottom module does not work anymore

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 18:37:44 +0200

> From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:18:32 +0100
> 
> I have set scroll-conservatively to 101. Unfortunately I see ERC buffer
> still recenters for some reason.

>From "emacs -Q"?  If so, please show a complete recipe, because I
cannot reproduce this.  (Of course, you can only have the last line at
the bottom of the window once you have enough stuff in the buffer to
fill the window, but I assume you have accounted for that.)

> February, 11 at 5:51 Eli wrote:
> 
> >> When I type RET at the prompt I get an error message saying I can't send
> >> an empty line. It errors "Blank line - ignoring" in the echo area.
> >> However the display does not scroll up for me.
> >
> > No, I meant if the last line is not at the bottom of the window,
> > typing just RET will scroll it to the bottom, because the
> > post-command-hook will kick in.
> >
> > So I guess this feature expects an improvement that would put the last
> > line at the bottom even if no command was invoked by the user.
> 
> It does not do that for me. I just get the error, the ERC prompt stays
> in the middle.

Again, is that in "emacs -Q"?  If not, please try "emacs -Q".  Here's
what I did:

  emacs -Q
  M-: (setq erc-modules '(scrolltobottom)) RET
  M-x erc RET RET RET RET RET

Then I wait for enough stuff to arrive that Emacs recenters, and hit
RET one more time.  At this point, the last line is scrolled to the
bottom of the window.