Subject: bug#16697: 24.3.50; ERC scrolltobottom module does not work anymore

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 19:16:20 +0200

> From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 10:44:06 +0100
> 
> February, 08 at 23:03 Eli wrote:
> 
> >> From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
> >> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 21:53:47 +0100
> >> 
> >> 1) emacs -Q
> >> 2) eval (setq erc-modules '(scrolltobottom)) in *scratch*
> >> 3) M-x erc RET RET RET
> >> 
> >> Wait for the window to fill up.
> >> 
> >> I expect the prompt to stay at the bottom as it used to in 24.3.
> >
> > Does it help to set scroll-conservatively to a value larger than 100?
> 
> Hi Eli,
> 
> Of course it 'works' but it's global for all buffers. After years of
> conservative scroll set to 0 I am somewhat used to it. I have set it to
> 101 on my configuration to see if it's nice.
> 
> This module did The Right Thing just for ERC buffers. It if can't be
> fixed it should at least be removed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you should turn on
scroll-conservatively, I just wanted to see what causes recentering.

However, now that I tried your recipe, I see that Emacs 24.3 also
recenters, like the current trunk.  If I then type RET at the "ERC>"
prompt, the display is scrolled so that the last non-empty line is
indeed at the bottom of the window.

I think this is expected, given that scrolltobottom works off the
post-command-hook, no?

Are you sure that Emacs 24.3 behaves differently here?  Did you
perhaps use in Emacs 24.3 erc that is different from the one which was
supplied with the release tarball?