Subject: Re: Strange background color problem in gentoo Linux

From: Joakim Tjernlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:11:29 +0100

Barry OReilly <[email-masked]> wrote on 2014/03/26 14:39:51:
> 
> > I am using Gnome2, KDE and MATE on a fresh Gentoo system. In my
> > .emacs I have:
> >
> > (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(background-color . "#333333"))
> > (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "White"))
> > (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(cursor-color . "White"))
> >
> > Whenever I use MATE or KDE, emacs fails to set the background color
> > to Green(#333333), it becomes white instead and I end up with White
> > one White on White :( If I open a new Frame I get my Green
> > background though.
> >
> > This happens on 24.3.50_pre20140228 and 24.3.9999-r1 (top of repo
> > tree) Tried both gtk2 and gtk3 USE flags
> 
> Sounds similar to several other bug reports since the regression was
> introduced in December. Most discussion is at
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16694 .

Sure looks similar, thank you

One more data point, if I add 
  (setq initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist)
as in
  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(background-color . "#333333"))
  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "White"))
  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(cursor-color . "White")) 
  (setq initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist)
I get the correct green background in my initial Frame.

May I also ask, in another Gentoo GNU/Linux system running Gnome 2 I get
this after updating that install:

jocke@gentoo64 ~ $ emacs

(emacs:2436): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property 
GtkSettings::gtk-button-images after class was initialised

(emacs:2436): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property 
GtkSettings::gtk-label-select-on-focus after class was initialised

(emacs:2436): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property 
GtkSettings::gtk-menu-bar-popup-delay after class was initialised

(emacs:2436): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property 
GtkSettings::gtk-can-change-accels after class was initialised

(emacs:2436): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property 
GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popup-delay after class was initialised

(emacs:2436): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property 
GtkSettings::gtk-menu-popdown-delay after class was initialised

and I cannot figure out where the GLib warnings come from, any ideas?

 Jocke