Subject: bug#16676: 24.3.50; Repeated but random hang

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:53:28 -0800

This has happened to me a handful of times now.  I'm reading news, and
then Emacs will suddenly halt.

Connecting to Emacs with gdb gives me the backtrace below.  Emacs will
consume 100% CPU at this point.

I've got the Emacs connected to gdb if anybody wants me to output some
data values...

#0  0x0000003f4de29e3c in XIfEvent () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#1  0x0000003f4de706e4 in _XimXRead () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#2  0x0000003f4de71330 in _XimReadData () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#3  0x0000003f4de71621 in _XimRead () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#4  0x0000003f4de5fa58 in _XimProtoDestroyIC () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#5  0x0000003f4de4e042 in XDestroyIC () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#6  0x00000000004c58cc in free_frame_xic (f=f@entry=0x3844808) at xfns.c:2041
#7  0x00000000004bd34c in x_free_frame_resources (f=0x3844808) at xterm.c:9201
#8  0x00000000004bd67b in x_destroy_window (f=<optimized out>) at xterm.c:9293
#9  0x0000000000422fda in delete_frame (frame=<optimized out>, force=12207810)
    at frame.c:1378
#10 0x00000000004b4450 in x_connection_closed (dpy=dpy@entry=0x1378070, 
    error_message=<optimized out>, 
    error_message@entry=0x7fffbe39c450 "Connection lost to X server `:0'")
    at xterm.c:7569
#11 0x00000000004b44fc in x_io_error_quitter (display=0x1378070)
    at xterm.c:7696
#12 0x0000003f4de43cce in _XIOError () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#13 0x0000003f4de417ba in _XReadEvents () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#14 0x0000003f4de29e51 in XIfEvent () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#15 0x0000003f4de706e4 in _XimXRead () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#16 0x0000003f4de71330 in _XimReadData () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#17 0x0000003f4de71621 in _XimRead () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#18 0x0000003f4de600d6 in _XimProtoSetICValues () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#19 0x0000003f4de4e2ad in XSetICValues () from /lib64/libX11.so.6
#20 0x00000000004c59b3 in xic_set_preeditarea (w=w@entry=0x479df28, 
    x=x@entry=55, y=y@entry=528) at xfns.c:2061
#21 0x00000000004b4ce5 in x_draw_window_cursor (w=0x479df28, 
    glyph_row=<optimized out>, x=55, y=528, cursor_type=<optimized out>, 
    cursor_width=<optimized out>, on_p=<optimized out>, 
    active_p=<optimized out>) at xterm.c:7265
#22 0x0000000000454fd3 in display_and_set_cursor (w=w@entry=0x479df28, 
    on=on@entry=true, hpos=5, vpos=24, x=55, y=528) at xdisp.c:26983
#23 0x00000000004b3a4c in x_update_window_end (w=0x479df28, 
    cursor_on_p=<optimized out>, mouse_face_overwritten_p=<optimized out>)
    at xterm.c:546
#24 0x000000000041b1cd in update_window (w=w@entry=0x479df28, 
    force_p=<optimized out>, force_p@entry=true) at dispnew.c:3486
#25 0x000000000041c49b in update_window_tree (w=w@entry=0x479df28, 
    force_p=force_p@entry=true) at dispnew.c:3161
#26 0x000000000041e8fd in update_frame (f=f@entry=0x3844808, 
    force_p=<optimized out>, force_p@entry=false, 
    inhibit_hairy_id_p=inhibit_hairy_id_p@entry=false) at dispnew.c:3059
#27 0x000000000044b39d in redisplay_internal () at xdisp.c:13728
#28 0x000000000044c3f5 in redisplay () at xdisp.c:12911
#29 0x00000000004e34c1 in read_char (commandflag=1, map=map@entry=244463206,
    prev_event=12030258, 
    used_mouse_menu=used_mouse_menu@entry=0x7fffbe39f0ab, 
    end_time=end_time@entry=0x0) at keyboard.c:2563
#30 0x00000000004e4e23 in read_key_sequence (
    keybuf=keybuf@entry=0x7fffbe39f180, prompt=12030258, 
    dont_downcase_last=dont_downcase_last@entry=false, 
    can_return_switch_frame=can_return_switch_frame@entry=true, 
    fix_current_buffer=fix_current_buffer@entry=true, 
    prevent_redisplay=prevent_redisplay@entry=false, bufsize=30)
    at keyboard.c:9071
#31 0x00000000004e6a40 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1445
#32 0x0000000000546f6e in internal_condition_case (
    bfun=bfun@entry=0x4e6850 <command_loop_1>, handlers=<optimized out>, 
    hfun=hfun@entry=0x4dd920 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1345
#33 0x00000000004d90de in command_loop_2 (ignore=ignore@entry=12030258)
    at keyboard.c:1170
#34 0x0000000000546e7b in internal_catch (tag=12077618, 
    func=func@entry=0x4d90c0 <command_loop_2>, arg=12030258) at eval.c:1109
#35 0x00000000004dd547 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1149
#36 recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:777
#37 0x00000000004dd832 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:841
#38 0x0000000000415cb5 in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0x7fffbe39f4d8)
    at emacs.c:1643

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.9 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.8)
 of 2014-01-31 on building.gnus.org
Repository revision: 116225 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils package ido flyspell ispell dired cl-macs
gv add-log mail-extr jka-compr cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/