Subject: bug#16672: closed (Re: bug#16672: 24.3.50; window error on desktop-read)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:19:06 +0000

Your bug report

#16672: 24.3.50; window error on desktop-read

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16672: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16672
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16672: 24.3.50; window error on desktop-read
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:18:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> I suppose this has been fixed with revision 116477 on trunk.  Please try again.

Closing the bug.

martin

Subject: 24.3.50; window error on desktop-read
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 13:34:31 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00)
 of 2014-02-06 on sds-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

When restoring the session, I get this error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "#<window 5> is not a live window")
  signal(error ("#<window 5> is not a live window"))
  error("%s is not a live window" #<window 5>)
  window-normalize-window(#<window 5> t)
  window-state-put((((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 14) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 140) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 86) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 28)) hc (pixel-width . 1387) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 198) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 694) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "visitor-profile.sql" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 6571) (start . 4566))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 693) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "grep-/Users/sds/src/magnetic/research/explore/" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1)))) #<window 5> safe)
  frameset--restore-frame(((font-backend mac-ct ns) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 7) (right-fringe . 7) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (alpha) (fullscreen . fullheight) (horizontal-scroll-bars . t) (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (environment) (mouse-color . "Magenta") (frameset--id . "904D-DB3A-F703-8A36") (frameset--mini t . t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (maximized) (user-size . t) (visibility . t) (height . 73) (width . 194) (left . 1486) (top . 32)) (((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 14) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 140) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 86) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 28)) hc (pixel-width . 1387) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 198) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 694) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "visitor-profile.sql" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 6571) (start . 4566))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 693) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "grep-/Users/sds/src/magnetic/research/explore/" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1)))) ((background-color . frameset-filter-sanitize-color) (buffer-list . :never) (buffer-predicate . :never) (buried-buffer-list . :never) (font . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (foreground-color . frameset-filter-sanitize-color) (fullscreen . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (GUI:font . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:fullscreen . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:height . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:width . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (height . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (outer-window-id . :never) (parent-id . :never) (tty . frameset-filter-tty-to-GUI) (tty-type . frameset-filter-tty-to-GUI) (width . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (window-id . :never) (window-system . :never) (name . :never) (left . frameset-filter-iconified) (minibuffer . frameset-filter-minibuffer) (top . frameset-filter-iconified)) t)
  #[0 "\307\306\242\236A\211A@\205
\211\310\302!\203\302\306\242\305\"\202\302\311\211\312!\203*\311 \202J\313\311\314\"\314\306\242\236A=\203=\311 \202J\314\313\311\314\"B\211 A?\262 \205`\315=\206`\211\205`\316\306\242\236A\317=?\205\304\242\203\210\301\320=\204t\301:\203\210\321\322\306\242\236A\304\242\"\211\203\207\323\322\311#\210\210\203\357\211\204\357@\203\252\316\306\242\236A\317=\203\357\306\324\325\306\242\"\240\210\202\357\203\357\321!\311\204\303\326\327\330\331\n\"\332#\210\202\340\333!\262\334!\203\324\335!\204\340\326\327\330\336\"\332#\210\311\262\211\203\355\306\316B\306\242B\240\210\266\337\306\242\305\300\206\371!\303$\262\205\211\"\207" [nil t nil t (nil) (((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 14) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 140) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 86) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 28)) hc (pixel-width . 1387) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 198) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 694) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "visitor-profile.sql" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 6571) (start . 4566))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 693) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "grep-/Users/sds/src/magnetic/research/explore/" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1)))) (((font-backend mac-ct ns) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 7) (right-fringe . 7) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (alpha) (fullscreen . fullheight) (horizontal-scroll-bars . t) (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (environment) (mouse-color . "Magenta") (frameset--id . "904D-DB3A-F703-8A36") (frameset--mini t . t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (maximized) (user-size . t) (visibility . t) (height . 73) (width . 194) (left . 1486) (top . 32))) frameset--mini functionp nil frameset-keep-original-display-p frame-parameter display :delete minibuffer only :keep frameset-frame-with-id frameset--id set-frame-parameter append ((tool-bar-lines . 0) (menu-bar-lines . 0)) delay-warning frameset format "Minibuffer frame %S not found" :warning minibuffer-window window-live-p window-minibuffer-p "Not a minibuffer window %s" frameset--restore-frame frameset--target-display frameset-filter-alist default-minibuffer-frame] 14 "\n\n(fn)"]()
  funcall(#[0 "\307\306\242\236A\211A@\205
\211\310\302!\203\302\306\242\305\"\202\302\311\211\312!\203*\311 \202J\313\311\314\"\314\306\242\236A=\203=\311 \202J\314\313\311\314\"B\211 A?\262 \205`\315=\206`\211\205`\316\306\242\236A\317=?\205\304\242\203\210\301\320=\204t\301:\203\210\321\322\306\242\236A\304\242\"\211\203\207\323\322\311#\210\210\203\357\211\204\357@\203\252\316\306\242\236A\317=\203\357\306\324\325\306\242\"\240\210\202\357\203\357\321!\311\204\303\326\327\330\331\n\"\332#\210\202\340\333!\262\334!\203\324\335!\204\340\326\327\330\336\"\332#\210\311\262\211\203\355\306\316B\306\242B\240\210\266\337\306\242\305\300\206\371!\303$\262\205\211\"\207" [nil t nil t (nil) (((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 14) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 140) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 86) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 28)) hc (pixel-width . 1387) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 198) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 694) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "visitor-profile.sql" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 6571) (start . 4566))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 693) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "grep-/Users/sds/src/magnetic/research/explore/" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1)))) (((font-backend mac-ct ns) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 7) (right-fringe . 7) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (alpha) (fullscreen . fullheight) (horizontal-scroll-bars . t) (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (environment) (mouse-color . "Magenta") (frameset--id . "904D-DB3A-F703-8A36") (frameset--mini t . t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (maximized) (user-size . t) (visibility . t) (height . 73) (width . 194) (left . 1486) (top . 32))) frameset--mini functionp nil frameset-keep-original-display-p frame-parameter display :delete minibuffer only :keep frameset-frame-with-id frameset--id set-frame-parameter append ((tool-bar-lines . 0) (menu-bar-lines . 0)) delay-warning frameset format "Minibuffer frame %S not found" :warning minibuffer-window window-live-p window-minibuffer-p "Not a minibuffer window %s" frameset--restore-frame frameset--target-display frameset-filter-alist default-minibuffer-frame] 14 "\n\n(fn)"])
  frameset-restore([frameset 1 (21235 54256 520522 0) (desktop . "206") "[email-masked]" nil nil ((((font-backend mac-ct ns) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 7) (right-fringe . 7) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (alpha) (fullscreen . fullheight) (horizontal-scroll-bars . t) (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (environment) (mouse-color . "Magenta") (frameset--id . "904D-DB3A-F703-8A36") (frameset--mini t . t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (maximized) (user-size . t) (visibility . t) (height . 73) (width . 194) (left . 1486) (top . 32)) ((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 14) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 140) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 86) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 28)) hc (pixel-width . 1387) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 198) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 694) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "visitor-profile.sql" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 6571) (start . 4566))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 693) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "grep-/Users/sds/src/magnetic/research/explore/" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1)))))] :reuse-frames t :force-display nil :force-onscreen t)
  desktop-restore-frameset()
  desktop-read()
  #[0 "\303\211\235\203\304\"\305\210	\205\306 \210\307 \210\310\211\207" [command-line-args desktop-save-mode inhibit-startup-screen "--no-desktop" delete nil desktop-read desktop-auto-save-set-timer t] 4 "\n\n(fn)"]()
  run-hooks(after-init-hook)
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

how come (frame-root-window frame) returns a dead window?!

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ESS[S]

Minor modes in effect:
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ess-roxy-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<select-window> <select-window> <select-window> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
C-x b * M <tab> <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-2> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <select-window> 
<select-window> <select-window> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <help-echo> <select-window> 
<select-window> C-s w i n d o w C-e <M-left> <M-left> 
<M-left> <M-left> <M-right> <down> <down> <down> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-2> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<help-echo> <mouse-movement> <select-window> <mouse-movement> 
<help-echo> <mouse-movement> <select-window> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-movement> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<drag-mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
C-x C-e <select-window> <select-window> <select-window> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-1> <help-echo> C-s 
s t a t e 0 <backspace> - p <M-right> <M-right> <M-right> 
C-x C-e <M-right> <M-right> <M-right> <M-right> C-x 
C-e <right> <select-window> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-x C-e C-x b g r e <tab> C-g <help-echo> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p 
<tab> <tab> <tab> <tab> <tab> C-/ <return>

Recent messages:
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition
uncompressing window.el.gz...done
#<window 5>
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition
Mark saved where search started
eval: Symbol's value as variable is void: window-state
eval: Symbol's value as variable is void: frame
(((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 14) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 140) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 86) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 28)) hc (pixel-width . 1387) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 198) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 694) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "visitor-profile.sql" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 6571) (start . 4566))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 693) (pixel-height . 1008) (total-width . 99) (total-height . 72) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "grep-/Users/sds/src/magnetic/research/explore/" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 7 7 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars 10 2 t nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1))))
Quit
Scanning for dabbrevs...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum
nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win dabbrev emacsbug message cl-macs gv rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums misearch multi-isearch
jka-compr find-func add-log help-mode debug dired-aux dired sh-script
smie vc-hg vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher vc-git sql view
edit-server-autoloads package midnight warnings gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb-loaddefs bbdb
bbdb-site timezone rcirc server which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars paren help-at-pt
desktop frameset cus-start cus-load ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme
thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy advice
hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess
ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils
ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat ess-site cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1265
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://jihadwatch.org http://memri.org
http://thereligionofpeace.com http://dhimmi.com http://truepeace.org
A bullet affects the way the brain functions even when it hits the butt.