Subject: Re: bug#16667: Accented home dir stops ELPA package

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 18:13:24 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 08:50:22 -0500
> 
> > Hmm... can you tell which code called autoload-find-file?
> 
> It's called from autoload-generate-file-autoloads itself called from
> package-generate-autoloads via update-directory-autoloads.
> 
> A possible explanation is if the `directory-files' call in
> update-directory-autoloads (which requests full names, so the output
> file names include the "c:/Users/Propriétaire.AlienwareCedric/"
> prefix) returns mis-encoded names.  E.g. prepends default-directory but
> marks the result as unibyte, or something.

Yes, but how would a unibyte string escape from C in the first place?
Does any of the functions involved encode file names by hand?

> > But we did fix quite a few problems related to building and running
> > Emacs from non-ASCII directories, so maybe this was one of them.
> 
> That's right.  Could someone try to reproduce the problem in 24.3 and
> then see if it's fixed in trunk?

It's not easy to do, because this is the user's home directory, so you
need to have a user with a non-ASCII character in her name.  And the
C:/Users directory is not generally writable, or at least it isn't
supposed to be.

Why don't you ask that guy to install a development snapshot?  If the
problem persists, we can help him then.