Subject: bug#16663: emacs/calc/date

From: Jay Belanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 23:28:26 -0600

> So this math is not only limited to being valid on earth, but also
> limited to US and Canada subsequent to the 1987 change of the Uniform
> Time Act?

The math is good anywhere.  You may not like the interpretation of the
results, though.

>> Could you be more precise?  From what I've read, UT isn't precisely
>> defined and UTC is one possible interpretation of it.
>
> For dates prior to atomic chronometers UT is defined more precisely
> than the sources of time that were available to most users of civil
> time.

Which doesn't tell me what UT is.

> Piles of details about all these time scales are here
> http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/timescales.html

For those that want piles of details; I suppose.  I was wondering which
version of UT you were referring to.

At any rate, nothing will be done until after the next release of
Emacs.  Then I'll check to see how other programs handle DST.  Since the
original bug report didn't report a bug, I'll close this report.

Jay