Subject: bug#16657: [PATCH] Detect XTerm versions for non-VT100 emulation modes

From: "W. Trevor King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:17:23 -0800

Is there anything I can do to help this along?  I'm happy to add
clarifying information to the commit message if that would help.  In
13839, Stefan expressed concern over non-XTerms that claim to be XTerm
[1]:

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 14:25:30 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> More specifically, I'm concerned that by accepting any "P p" number,
> we might end up trying to use a feature that's not supported by the
> underlying terminal emulator because it happens to have version
> numbers that are higher than those of "the usual xterm".

Lacking a spec for XTerm impersonators, it's hard to address this
directly.  However, as it stands, version detection is broken for
XTerm ≥ v280, and I think that fixing that known breakage for the true
XTerm is more important than avoiding hypothetical breakage for
impersonators.  Are there other concerns with the logic here?  If so,
what sort of research might help clear them up?  Are there some common
impersonators that I should investigate directly?

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13839#14

-- 
This email may be signed or encrypted with GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org).
For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy