Subject: RE: bug#16651: 24.3.50; desktop saves temporary buffers

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 09:05:21 -0800 (PST)

> With the desktop mode enabled and `C-h S info-lookup-symbol RET'
> info-look.el creates a temporary buffer with the name " temp-info-
> look"
> that is saved to the desktop because this buffer is in Info mode
> saved by `Info-desktop-buffer-misc-data'.
> 
> I see two possible solutions: skip saving all buffers with the
> leading space in the buffer name, or if this problem is Info
> specific
> then fix it in `Info-desktop-buffer-misc-data' to return nil for
> Info buffers with the leading space in the buffer name.

I'm not following this thread - please excuse any ignorance
wrt this topic.

If the question of whether to save buffers whose name begins
with a space is being posed then why not leave that up to the
user, by providing an option to decide it?

Or if you think that users might want even more control, saving
some but not all such buffers, maybe:

* By default, exclude such buffers (and perhaps other kinds of
  "insignificant" buffers or buffers that are difficult to
  re-create or whatever).

* Provide an option that users can use to specify particular
  buffers or a regexp matching buffers that should not be
  excluded.

I'm guessing that it can be hard for Emacs to guess just what
users will need/want in this regard, and so it is better to
define a reasonable default behavior but also give users a
way to override that.