Subject: Re: bug#16647: Imprecisions with window-resizing cursors

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:33:37 -0400

At 14:44 -0400 on Saturday 2014-02-22, martin rudalics wrote:

>> I had to put the sit-for immediately after the set-mouse-pixel-position
>> rather than immediately before it or I didn't get a <=> at all --
>> presumably there wasn't enough time to update the cursor the way you had
>> it written?
>
> I have no idea why this should matter.  Maybe `mouse-pixel-position'
> calls interact in some strange way.

Does it not make a difference for you? Perhaps that's something worth
understanding?

>> Then, with a sit-for of 0.2 seconds, I got the <=> perfectly fine,
>> exactly where expected, going in both directions. I still almost never
>> see it when I move the mouse manually, going from left to right --
>> possibly a defect in my trackpad?
>
> Can't you try with a real mouse?

Yes. Indeed. I dug out two different real mice and also plugged in my
23" desktop monitor so I can see the pixels.

The behaviour is the same as I reported with my trackpad and laptop
display.

>> the only time I ever use a mouse on my computer is to get around a
>> resume-from-suspend bug in Fedora, which locks out the keyboard until
>> a mouse button has been pressed.),
>
> I recently read in a thread on help-gnu-emacs:
>
>   Horizontal scroll bar is missing entirely from window.
>
> How would the OP use it without a mouse?  Or do we have a second
> N. Jackson?

Haha. Well to check out the behaviour of images in Emacs, after my
cursor keys didn't work, I admit I tried to make the image scroll with
the trackpad and the scrollbars, so maybe I'm not completely consistent
in my mouse abstinence. Although, in four years of using Emacs every
day, I never noticed that there was no horizontal scroll bar! And I use
the thumb on the vertical scroll bar to tell me how far down the
document I am.

N.