Subject: Re: bug#16647: Imprecisions with window-resizing cursors

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 10:17:30 +0100

> Okay, I have applied the patch (on top of GNU Emacs 24.3.50
 > (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.8) of 2014-02-19 Repository
 > revision: 116484)
 >
 > With the patch I see the same behaviour I described above.

Genya - can you try once more whether the patch applies now (and, if not,
why so) on your system and which results you get?

 >> Evaluating this returns (8 . 0) here, the cdr of which amounts to the
 >> width of one character on my frame.  So here I have an 8 pixel-wide
 >> corridor entirely in the left window where I am "on the vertical line"
 >> (which occupies virtually the 7 right pixels of the right fringe of the
 >> window on the left).
 >
 > Here I get (6 . 0).

What does M-: (frame-char-width) give on your system?

 > I get (6 . 0) (with initial i = 400).
 >
 > Nevertheless, I can almost never get the <=> handle when I approach from
 > the left.

You could try slowing down the movement by (1) starting with a higher
initial value for i (so you don't have to wait too long) and (2)
increasing the `sit-for' argument so you can see more of the cursor
shape.  This way we would know whether the cursor is actually shown in
the expected shape as long as it is within the grabbable width.

Anyway, in the future I recommend to use window dividers instead of the
"vertical line overlaying the fringe" approach.

martin