Subject: bug#16646: closed (Re: bug#16646: 24.3.50; lisp-completion-at-point suggests unbound symbols)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 05:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#16646: 24.3.50; lisp-completion-at-point suggests unbound symbols

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16646: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16646
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16646: 24.3.50; lisp-completion-at-point suggests unbound symbols
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 00:37:45 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> 1. Open scratch buffer in emacs-lisp-mode.
> 2. Type `(+ d', press C-M-i.
> 3. See all kinds of symbols among the suggestions, starting `d',
> `d1ei' and `d2ei'. None of these three are bound variables.

I believe I've fixed this in trunk.

        Stefan

Subject: 24.3.50; lisp-completion-at-point suggests unbound symbols
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 05:54:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Open scratch buffer in emacs-lisp-mode.

2. Type `(+ d', press C-M-i.

3. See all kinds of symbols among the suggestions, starting `d',
`d1ei' and `d2ei'. None of these three are bound variables.

But I suppose they are present in obarray. Unless we're certain that the
symbol we're completing won't be evaluated directly, though (i.e. the
head of the current list is a macro), I don't think unbound symbols
should be among the suggestions. Otherwise, this completion looks too
much like dabbrev, and if I wanted that, I could just press M-/.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.5 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.6)
 of 2014-02-01 on axl
Repository revision: 116234 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11405000
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.10