Subject: bug#16642: closed (Re: bug#16642: 24.3; (auth) Minor documentation inconsistency on checking order of un/encrypted .authinfo files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 02:09:02 +0000

Your bug report

#16642: 24.3; (auth) Minor documentation inconsistency on checking order of un/encrypted .authinfo files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16642: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16642
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16642: 24.3; (auth) Minor documentation inconsistency on checking order of un/encrypted .authinfo files
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 21:08:21 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Thanks, the first one was right.

Subject: 24.3; (auth) Minor documentation inconsistency on checking order of un/encrypted .authinfo files
From: Neil Jackson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:12:37 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The documentation is inconsistent about the order in which auth checks
'~/.authinfo' and '~/.authinfo.gpg' when 'auth-sources' isn't
customised.

In (info "(auth)Help for Users") it says that the unencrypted file is
sought first:

    If you don't customize 'auth-sources', you'll have to live with the
    defaults: the unencrypted netrc file '~/.authinfo' will be used for
    any host and any port.

    If that fails, any host and any port are looked up in the netrc file
    '~/.authinfo.gpg', which is a GnuPG encrypted file (*note GnuPG and
    EasyPG Assistant Configuration::).

But in (info "(auth)GnuPG and EasyPG Assistant Configuration") it says
it says that the encrypted file is sought first:

    If you don't customize 'auth-sources', the auth-source library reads
    '~/.authinfo.gpg', which is a GnuPG encrypted file.  Then it will
    check '~/.authinfo' but it's not recommended to use such an
    unencrypted file.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-14 on buildvm-15.phx2.fedoraproject.org Windowing system
distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000 System Description:
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)