Subject: bug#16642: 24.3; (auth) Minor documentation inconsistency on checking order of un/encrypted .authinfo files

From: Neil Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:12:37 -0400

The documentation is inconsistent about the order in which auth checks
'~/.authinfo' and '~/.authinfo.gpg' when 'auth-sources' isn't
customised.

In (info "(auth)Help for Users") it says that the unencrypted file is
sought first:

    If you don't customize 'auth-sources', you'll have to live with the
    defaults: the unencrypted netrc file '~/.authinfo' will be used for
    any host and any port.

    If that fails, any host and any port are looked up in the netrc file
    '~/.authinfo.gpg', which is a GnuPG encrypted file (*note GnuPG and
    EasyPG Assistant Configuration::).

But in (info "(auth)GnuPG and EasyPG Assistant Configuration") it says
it says that the encrypted file is sought first:

    If you don't customize 'auth-sources', the auth-source library reads
    '~/.authinfo.gpg', which is a GnuPG encrypted file.  Then it will
    check '~/.authinfo' but it's not recommended to use such an
    unencrypted file.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-14 on buildvm-15.phx2.fedoraproject.org Windowing system
distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000 System Description:
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)