Subject: bug#16642: 24.3; (auth) Minor documentation inconsistency on checking order of un/encrypted .authinfo files

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 18:41:32 -0500

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 21:08:21 -0500 Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote: 

GM> Version: 24.4
GM> Thanks, the first one was right.

I looked at your patch (finally, yeah).  The relevant piece is at the
end.

I am not sure that it's an improvement to remove the explanation, even
though it's certainly easier for the developers not to keep them in
sync.

Maybe instead of talking about order, the docstring should explain what
the .gpg extension means and how to enable it, and what happens to
missing files?

I am not making the change immediately in case this kind of detail is
not appropriate in the docstring.

Thanks
Ted

 (defcustom auth-sources '("~/.authinfo" "~/.authinfo.gpg" "~/.netrc")
   "List of authentication sources.
-
-The default will get login and password information from
-\"~/.authinfo.gpg\", which you should set up with the EPA/EPG
-packages to be encrypted.  If that file doesn't exist, it will
-try the unencrypted version \"~/.authinfo\" and the famous
-\"~/.netrc\" file.
-
-See the auth.info manual for details.
-
 Each entry is the authentication type with optional properties.
+Entries are tried in the order in which they appear.
+See Info node `(auth)Help for users' for details.