Subject: bug#16617: 24.3.50; REGRESSION: `C-q ?' pops up annoying *Char Help* buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 18:14:30 +0300

> From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 21:34:07 +0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On 2014-04-03 01:11 +0800, Drew Adams wrote:
> > There has been no response to this regression report, which includes a clear recipe to repro it.
> >
> > This problem is still present as of this build:
> >
> 
> Thanks for the report and sorry I missed it.
> 
> Stefan,
> 
> Can I fix it in emacs-24 along these lines? Thanks.   - Leo

FWIW, I don't think this is the right fix.  The problem is not that
'?' pops up the help text -- I disagree with Drew about that, as '?'
is a normal way to ask Emacs for guidance.  The problem is that the
help text is not really displayed -- it flashes for a fraction of a
second and disappears without a trace.  Your suggestion doesn't fix
that part.  Even if it is eventually decided that '?' should not
invoke help in this case, the problem with momentarily flashing the
help text should be solved, because it actually renders the whole
help-form feature useless.