Subject: RE: bug#16617: 24.3.50; REGRESSION: `C-q ?' pops up annoying *Char Help* buffer

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 07:32:02 -0700 (PDT)

> > There has been no response to this regression report, which includes a
> > clear recipe to repro it.
> 
> Either the recipe is not clean, or you probably haven't tried it
> starting from `emacs -Q'.
> 
> `C-q ?' and `C-q <f1>' insert ? or a non-printable character here.
> No help buffers.

It seems that you did not read the bug report well.  Did you see this
part?

 4. With `emacs -Q', you might not even notice the popped-up *Char Help*
    buffer, which means that it does not even do what the enhancer
    presumably intended.  It just flashes for an instant - impossible to
    read it, and serving no purpose but to annoy and puzzle.  This alone
    is a regression wrt previous Emacs releases.

Do I need to make the recipe clearer?

emacs -Q
M-x set-variable pop-up-frames t
In a writable buffer: C-q ?