Subject: bug#16615: 24.3.50; Fatal error visiting a directory (same as #16132?)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 20:11:49 +0200

> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 17:32:44 +0000
> From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
> 
> I'm getting the same symptoms as described in #16132.

That one disappeared after bootstrapping.

> When started from the debugger things are no better (no stack pointer?).
> (The result is similar if "\temp" is specified as a command line argument.)
> 
> C:\emacs>gdb --quiet --args c:\emacs\emacs-116232\bin\emacs.exe -Q
> Reading symbols from c:\emacs\emacs-116232\bin\emacs.exe...done.
> (gdb) run
> 
> ;;; (Now type: M-x find-file RET \temp RET)
> 
> Starting program: c:\emacs\emacs-116232\bin\emacs.exe -Q
> [New Thread 5320.0x1a6c]
> [New Thread 5320.0x1e6c]
> [New Thread 5320.0xa4c]
> [New Thread 5320.0x1f88]
> 
> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> 0x03b19605 in __register_frame_info ()

Put a breakpoint in Fdirectory_files_and_attributes and in
Ffile_system_info and, then invoke find-file, and step through them
line by line to see on which line where does SIGSEGV hit.  That should
at least give us a clue where to look.  I guess the bug, whatever it
is, badly smashes the stack, or maybe it's some GCC misfeature in
optimized code that trips the debugger.  (Which GDB version is that,
btw?)

Anyway, I tried to reproduce this, but couldn't.  What version of GCC
do you have?  Also, does the problem happen if you configure Emacs
without all the optional libraries, like image libraries, libxml,
gnutls, etc.?