Subject: bug#16609: 24.3.50; [ruby-mode] Indentation broken after line ending with :+

From: Bozhidar Batsov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 09:00:39 +0200

The following code breaks the indentation of code following it:

return false unless method == :+
                                x = y + z # bad indentation

Other similar operators like *, /, etc exhibit the same problem.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00)
 of 2014-01-27 on Bozhidars-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD --without-dbus
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/info/emacs
 --without-gnutls --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Ruby

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  ruby-tools-mode: t
  inf-ruby-minor-mode: t
  guru-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  prelude-global-mode: t
  prelude-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d
C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d
M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f <return> <return> <backspace>
<backspace> M-b M-b M-f M-f M-b <backspace> M-f C-k
C-a C-k C-x k C-g C-x k <return> C-c C-k C-x o C-p
M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-b
C-f C-f C-f <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> C-f
C-f C-f C-f E n d C-x C-s C-x g C-p C-p C-p s c c C-y
M-b M-b M-f C-f C-f C-f C-f <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> C-f C-f C-f C-f E n d C-c C-c P P <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> s-f a n n o t a t i <return>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x b t e s t
. r b <return> <return> <return> s h i t <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> t e s t SPC = SPC
s o m e g <backspace> t h i n g SPC + SPC : = <return>
<tab> <backspace> C-b C-b C-b <backspace> = = C-e C-b
C-b C-e = <backspace> = C-b C-b C-b C-b C-e <backspace>
<backspace> + <return> <tab> C-p C-p C-n C-b C-b C-b
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> C-a C-k C-k C-x b e n d l i
n e <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> l i n e e n d <return>
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-SPC C-e M-w C-x b
<return> <return> <return> C-y <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
m e t h o d SPC = = SPC : + <return> C-p C-a C-SPC
C-e M-w M-x r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
unexpected token tCOLON
Source files should end with a newline (\n).
1 trailing blank lines detected.

Trailing whitespace detected. [2 times]
Saving file /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb...
Wrote /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb
Mark set [2 times]
Indenting region...done
Mark activated

Load-path shadows:
/Users/bozhidar/.emacs.d/elpa/flycheck-20140121.147/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/Users/bozhidar/.emacs.d/elpa/tabulated-list-20120406.2251/tabulated-list hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tabulated-list

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug ielm pcase mail-extr sgml-mode nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct vc-annotate vc vc-dispatcher lisp-mnt
network-stream starttls tls cider cider-mode cider-repl cider-eldoc
cider-version clojure-test-mode cider-interaction arc-mode archive-mode
cider-client nrepl-client cider-util ewoc clojure-mode-expansions
clojure-mode inf-lisp ibuf-ext ibuffer conf-mode yaml-mode ace-jump-mode
find-dired ffap url-parse url-vars hippie-exp misearch multi-isearch
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mule-util markdown-mode
noutline outline executable magit-key-mode magit view epa derived epg
epg-config diff-mode git-rebase-mode git-commit-mode server log-edit
message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log vc-git superword subword
ruby-tools inf-ruby ruby-mode-expansions smartparens-ruby ruby-mode smie
rainbow-mode color rainbow-delimiters elisp-slime-nav guru-mode
prelude-key-chord key-chord prelude-xml nxml-mode-expansions
html-mode-expansions smartparens-html rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
prelude-web prelude-scss prelude-scheme prelude-ruby prelude-perl
prelude-org prelude-js prelude-erc erc-truncate erc-autoaway
erc-spelling erc-notify erc-log erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
prelude-emacs-lisp prelude-css prelude-common-lisp slime-autoloads
prelude-clojure prelude-lisp prelude-c prelude-programming flycheck
help-mode rx f which-func imenu prelude-ido smex flx-ido flx
ido-ubiquitous warnings ido prelude-osx exec-path-from-shell
prelude-global-keybindings prelude-editor winner undo-tree diff esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util re-builder whitespace browse-kill-ring
midnight ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff dired-x dired anzu projectile pkg-info
find-func grep compile s bookmark pp expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-custom expand-region-core flyspell
ispell etags volatile-highlights hl-line windmove tramp-cache tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist saveplace
diminish smartparens-config smartparens autorevert filenotify delsel
prelude-mode easy-mmode edmacro kmacro prelude-core epl advice help-fns
dash thingatpt prelude-ui zenburn-theme prelude-packages finder-inf
ack-and-a-half-autoloads diminish-autoloads erlang-autoloads
flx-ido-autoloads eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
grizzl-autoloads key-chord-autoloads logito-autoloads info easymenu
cl-macs gv move-text-autoloads paredit-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads
puppet-mode-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads request-autoloads
rubocop-autoloads volatile-highlights-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
package cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)