Subject: 24.3.50; unable to move cursor while newsticker fetching data

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:22:45 +0100

Hi,
here a big regression compared with emacs-24.3, newsticker seems to
fetch its data synchronously blocking any movements in its buffer.
Also I see processes still open and fetching data continuously.
(I have to kill them manually)
Well very different behavior compared to emacs-24.3.

Here the relevant config I use for newsticker:

(setq newsticker-frontend 'newsticker-plainview)
(setq newsticker-retrieval-method 'extern)
(setq newsticker-show-descriptions-of-new-items nil)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2014-01-25 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  git-gutter-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptative-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<f7> n y y <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> u <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> u <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> Q C-x c p C-u 
C-z C-u C-z C-u C-z <down> <up> <return> C-x c p C-g 
M-x <return>

Recent messages:
Here is not Git work tree
Restoring buffers...done
Old newsticker cache file exists.  Read it? (y or n)  y
Delete old newsticker cache file? (y or n)  y
Newsticker started!
Preparing newsticker buffer... [2 times]
(New file)
Saving file /home/thierry/.newsticker-cache...
Wrote /home/thierry/.newsticker-cache
Newsticker stopped!
Buffer .emacs.el has no process [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals hides ~/elisp/magit/.dir-locals
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow gnus-dired nnir mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win emacsbug
helm-command helm-sys network-stream starttls url-http tls url-gw
url-auth shr-color color url-queue url-cache sh-script smie executable
conf-mode vc-rcs markdown-mode vc-git naquadah-theme em-unix em-script
em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic
em-banner em-alias align-let git-gutter server persistent-sessions
semantic/db-mode semantic/db eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format
ezimage semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet config-w3m w3m timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems
w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load package
golden-ratio winner undo-tree diff image-file newsticker newst-treeview
newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend shr xdvi-search
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads pcomplete-extension em-term term
disp-table ehelp helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval python eldoc-eval
warnings whitespace paren time avoid recentf tree-widget savehist
smtpmail-async smtpmail sendmail dired-async iterator simple-call-tree
iedit-rect rect iedit iedit-lib smallurl mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader
wid-edit rectangle-utils ledger-config ledger esh-var esh-io esh-cmd
esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode
esh-arg esh-util tv-utils async pcvs vc-cvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info
pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth cl-info slime-autoloads esh-toggle
flymake no-word htmlize cl dired-extension emms-mpd-config
emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n
emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode
emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq
emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line emms-tag-editor emms-mark
emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer emms-info
emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-element
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-agenda
org-annotation-helper addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs init-helm-thierry
helm-mode helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg
helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
ansi-color ring helm-locate helm vc vc-dispatcher helm-config
helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util time-date
mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache info easymenu cl-macs gv edmacro
kmacro advice help-fns net-utils cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997