Subject: bug#16587: 24.3.50; max-specpdl-size exceeded + crash with gnus (shr).

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:25:52 -0800

Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]> writes:

> 2. evaluate the following lines (which happen to be in my ~/.emacs) :
> (setq gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "eu.news.astraweb.com")))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nntp "news.gmane.org") (nntp "news.zoo-logique.org"))))
>
> 3. M-x gnus
>
> 4. navigate to Rotem Yaari's initial report for bug #16577 in nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.bugs

Note -- you can access bug reports directly if you have debbugs from
ELPA installed:

(require 'gnus-group)
(setq debug-on-error t)
(gnus-read-ephemeral-emacs-bug-group 16577)

> I get the error:
> shr-descend: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

Yeah, it's a very deeply nested semi-HTML message, and shr uses two
stack frames per nested element.

Hm...  it looks like it should be possible to replace `shr-generic' with
a macro, which should halve the number of stack frames.  I'll try doing
that...

> Now I do M-x toggle-debug-on-error, open another message in gnus, then
> back to Rotem Yaari's, and that's a crash. (btw it also happens if I
> actiavte debug-on-error from the beginning, it has nothing to do with
> reopening the message)

I get that too.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/