Subject: bug#16578: Wish: Support for non-native endianness in od

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:57:00 +0100

Pádraig Brady <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 01/28/2014 12:54 PM, Niels Möller wrote:
>> For the "od" program, it would be nice with a flag to specify the
>> endianness for all types which are larger than a byte. Possible
>> alternatives could be "big endian", "little endian", "native endian".
>
> I agree this would be useful and easy enough to add.
> I suppose the interface would be --endian=little|big

Maybe I can have a look at what it takes.

>> And for floats, besides endianness, it would be nice to be able to
>> specify native format or ieee format, for systems where these are
>> different.
>
> That's a bit less useful I think and harder to implement.

I agree that's a bit more obscure. So I understand if you don't want to do
that until there's some concrete usecase.

Endianness for float types should be easier, I hope.

Regards,
/Niels

-- 
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid C0B98E26.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.