Subject: Unwanted interaction between Emacs & Oxford English Dictionary

From: Joe Fineman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:06:59 -0500

I use GNU Emacs 24.3 with Cygwin 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) under Windows XP
Professional Service Pack 3 Build 2600.  For many years I have been
using the CD-ROM Oxford English Dictionary, Version 3.1.  Since
December 2012 (at which time I was using Emacs 22.3), the two have
interacted in a bizarre way:  Whenever the OED and Emacs are both
running, if in Emacs I make a deletion, the computer switches to the
OED window and attempts to look up the character or string deleted.
(That of course is an intolerable distraction and means that I have to
kill the OED after each use of it.)  This behavior has survived the
upgrade from Emacs 22.3 to 24.3.  It does not occur with deletions in
other software such as Conkeror and Microsoft Word, so I *suppose* it
is a peculiarity of Emacs.

Feel free to speculate.  %^)
-- 
---  Joe Fineman    [email-masked]

||:  Wealth, like happiness, is best attained while pursuing  :||
||:  something else.                                          :||