Subject: bug#16573: 24.3; Auctex (11.87.2) in Elpa issues hundreds of warnings on compile

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:05:55 +0100

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> Wrapping with (eval-when (compile load eval) ...) seems to work, but I'm
> not sure if that's a good idea.
>
>> Or you could turn them into macros.
>
> Indeed, that looks like a typical use-case for macros, but I'm rather
> sure that there's a good reason that the auto parser stuff is like it
> is.  David?

Sorry to disappoint you here, but that stuff was there well before me
and I've not messed with it to any noticeable degree.  I seem to
remember that Reiner Steib might have done a bit more in that respect,
but I might be mixing up names here, too.

At any rate, the base of the style code has probably not been touched
for something like 20 years, so it's quite likely that the reasons for
making any particular technical decision in that area are decidedly
historical.

> While we are at it: David, is there any reason why somebody would want
> to set TeX-install-font-lock to 'ignore nowadays so that font-latex is
> not loaded?

font-latex has different font highlighting from the Emacs default modes,
and some may prefer the latter (which also tends to track Emacs' current
capabilities better and might be more efficient for that reason).

-- 
David Kastrup