Subject: Re: bug#16573: 24.3; Auctex (11.87.2) in Elpa issues hundreds of warnings on compile

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 08:59:11 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Glenn,

>> ;; Local Variables:
>> ;; byte-compile-warnings: (free-vars unresolved)
>> ;; End:
>>
>> That does indeed stop the unresolved function warnings but not the
>> free-vars warnings.  Why not?
>
> Personally I think this is bad practice.

Why?  As said, all those style files use LaTeX-* and TeX-* vars and
functions defined by AUCTeX's core.  However, the style files can't be
required individually, but AUCTeX itself loads them dynamically
depending on the \usepackages and \documentclass you use in your LaTeX
document.  And then it's evident that those vars/functions are defined.

> Anyway, aren't you missing a "not":
>
>    byte-compile-warnings: (not free-vars unresolved)
>
> ?

Arg, indeed. :-)

> Note that this only works since Emacs 23.1.  In older Emacs it will at
> best have precisely the opposite effect to the one you intend.

Well, AUCTeX releases have a (setq byte-compile-warnings nil) in a
custom lpath.el that's used when byte-compiling anyway.  My intent is
only to get rid of warnings that are actually ok just for the ELPA
builds.

Bye,
Tassilo