Subject: bug#16573: [Bug-AUCTeX] bug#16573: 24.3; Auctex (11.87.2) in Elpa issues hundreds of warnings on compile

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:30:33 +0100

>> In the case of AUCTeX, I haven't tackled that job yet.
>
> Since the release of AUCTeX 11.87, some compilation warnings have been
> addressed,

I'm just trying to squash the gazillion warnings in auctex/style.  Those
are all free-vars and unresolved function warnings that will be ok at
runtime (style files can assume auctex is loaded, so they don't need to
require any auctex core files).

I've thought a simple fix would be to add a file local variable section
like this:

;; Local Variables:
;; byte-compile-warnings: (free-vars unresolved)
;; End:

That does indeed stop the unresolved function warnings but not the
free-vars warnings.  Why not?

Bye,
Tassilo