Subject: Re: bug#16573: 24.3; Auctex (11.87.2) in Elpa issues hundreds of warnings on compile

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:27:22 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Or you could turn them into macros.
>> Indeed, that looks like a typical use-case for macros, but I'm rather
>> sure that there's a good reason that the auto parser stuff is like it
>> is.  David?
>
> Whatever the reason, looking at the code of TeX-auto-add-type, I think
> it *really* should be turned into a macro, and use defvar/defalias
> instead of set/fset.

Yes, I've done that now in a local branch.  Seems to be the way to go,
but I need to do some more testing before pushing out that change.

>> While we are at it: David, is there any reason why somebody would
>> want to set TeX-install-font-lock to 'ignore nowadays so that
>> font-latex is not loaded?
>
> Would that make AUCTeX use tex-mode.el's font-lock rules?

TeX-install-font-lock has 3 possible values.  font-latex-setup uses
AUCTeX's rules, tex-font-setup uses tex-mode's rules, and ignore doesn't
set up any font-lock rules.  (So my question was a bit misleading.)

font-latex has some nice goodies like being able to add custom
font-locking rules for your own macros/environments very easily.

> Maybe `require-lazy' would be a better name for it, but in any case as
> long as it's not implemented, its name doesn't matter much.

Yup.

Bye,
Tassilo