Subject: bug#16569: Python package doesn't install ctypes module

From: Cyril Roelandt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 01:45:40 +0100

On 01/27/2014 08:17 PM, Sree Harsha Totakura wrote:
> On 01/27/2014 07:06 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Is this fixed with the libffi change you proposed (commit
>> d43547f12d4eae19845f3bf13a53a050af965063)?
>
> I haven't tested it, but I don't think the libffi change I proposed
> would fix this, because python source comes with libffi.
>

Actually, it helps! Python only uses its own version of libffi if no 
libffi can be found on the system. This is what it tries to do in Guix, 
but it fails because it uses commands that ultimately use /bin/sh, which 
is not available in the chroot.

I'll send a patch that forces Python to use the system libffi. It's 
against core-updates, since your patch that symlinks stuff in libffi is 
needed; however, I've only tested it against master after manually 
'backporting' it. Could you tell us whether it fixes your issue ?

Regards,
Cyril.