Subject: 24.3.50; x-popup-menu just returns nil

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 03:50:37 +0100

Hello,

in emacs -Q, I eval the following:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun foo (event)
  (interactive "e")
  (message "%s" (x-popup-menu event (mouse-menu-bar-map))))
 
(global-set-key
 [(meta control mouse-3)] ;just some free key
 #'foo)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Now, I hit M-C-mouse-3 somewhere.  The menu appears at the right place.
I select any item, and FOO messages "nil" instead of a list of events.
This is the bug.

However, when I redefine FOO so that it uses t instead of EVENT as first
argument of `x-popup-menu', it works as expected!

The problem seems to be system specific.  I see it on Debian Linux with
X, Drew Adams doesn't see it under Windows.

I use openbox, but the behavior is the same in an X session without any
window manager.

Regards,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.6)
 of 2014-01-27 on drachen
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11405000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix