Subject: Re: bug#16565: 24.3.50; x-popup-menu just returns nil

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:26:04 +0100

Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:

> The Gtk+ assumtion is that popup is done on key down, not key up, i.e.:
>
> (global-set-key
>  [(meta control down mouse-3)] ;just some free key
>  #'foo)
>
> It is very strange to popup a menu on key up.

Generally I agree.  My use case is not that trivial.  I use mouse3 from
Drew, that pops up a menu after the second mouse click, but only when
it was not double click (it depends on the time between).  He does that
by redefining `mouse-save-then-kill', which makes sense.  So when we pop
up the menu, the up event has already happened.

> From the Gtk+ point of view, that corresponds to popping up without a
> mouse click, hence the error.

Makes sense, in general.

> I have checked in a fix in trunk.

Great.  That fixes the problem in general, as well as for mouse3.
Thanks!

Regards,

Michael.