Subject: bug#16543: closed (Re: bug#16543: Newsticker retrieve method and https)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:15:05 +0000

Your bug report

#16543: 24.3; Newsticker retrieve method and https

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16543: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16543
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16543: Newsticker retrieve method and https
From: Ulf Jasper <[email-masked]>
To: Cédric Chépied <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:14:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Cédric Chépied <[email-masked]> writes:

> Fixed here :-)

Thanks.  Closing again.

Subject: 24.3; Newsticker retrieve method and https
From: Cédric Chépied <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 01:20:22 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

When the newsticker-url-list starts with an https url, newsticker tries to use
tls for all other urls.

start emacs -Q
go to buffer scratch
type: 
(setq newsticker-url-list (quote ( ("Archlinux"
"https://www.archlinux.org/feeds/news/" nil nil nil) ("Bonjour Madame"
"http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BonjourMadame" nil nil nil) )))
M-x eval-buffer
M-x newsticker-treeview

It hangs and last messages are:
Newsticker started!
Contacting host: www.emacswiki.org:80
Opening TLS connection to `www.archlinux.org'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 www.archlinux.org'...
Opening TLS connection to `feeds2.feedburner.com'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 80 feeds2.feedburner.com'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 80 feeds2.feedburner.com --protocols ssl3'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect feeds2.feedburner.com:80 -no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...done

I found a "workaround":
start emacs -Q
go to buffer scratch
type: 
(setq newsticker-url-list (quote ( ("Bonjour Madame"
"http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BonjourMadame" nil nil nil) ("Archlinux"
"https://www.archlinux.org/feeds/news/" nil nil nil) )))
M-x eval-buffer
M-x newsticker-treeview

It works and I can say "Bonjour madame" (not really with emacs -Q because
pictures are not displayed). It only hang when https url is the first one. I did
not try with several https url.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.6)
 of 2014-01-18 on mnt-storage-buildroots-staging-x86_64-eric
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11500000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-xft'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Folder

Minor modes in effect:
  global-srecode-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-func-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  erc-smiley-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  virtual-desktops-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x 1 M-x w l <return> <down> <return> <down> <down> 
<return> c y M-x e m a <tab> r e <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
r e p o r t <tab> b <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading msgdb for .~/.Mail/[email-masked]/Buildroot...done
Checking folder diff...done
Creating msgdb...done
Loading msgdb for .~/.Mail/[email-masked]/uClibc...done
Checking folder diff...done
Creating msgdb...done
All messages in cedric.chepied  are marked!
Starting new Ispell process [/usr/bin/aspell::default] ...
Type C-c C-x C-z to exit MIME mode, and type C-c C-x ? to get help.
Saving...done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/smime hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/smime
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-pgp5 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-pgp5
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-gpg hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-gpg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-pgp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-pgp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-def hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-def
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-parse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/obsolete/pgg-parse

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell wl-expire emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader elmo-maildir
modb-standard wl-mime mime-edit pgg-parse pccl pccl-20 pgg-def signature
mime-setup mail-mime-setup semi-setup mime-image wl-demo wl-draft eword-encode
wl-template sendmail elmo-net elmo-cache elmo-map elmo-dop wl-news wl-address
wl-thread wl-action wl-summary ps-print ps-def lpr wl-refile wl-message
elmo-mime mmelmo-buffer mmelmo-imap mmimap mime-parse mmbuffer mmgeneric
wl-highlight elmo-multi wl-folder wl wl-e21 wl-util elmo-flag elmo-localdir
wl-vars wl-version elmo elmo-signal elmo-msgdb modb modb-generic modb-entity
elmo-util elmo-date elmo-vars elmo-version luna mail-utils url-http mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-cache url-auth url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse url-vars mailcap hideshow chep-stickyfunc chep-tag-popup
chep-auto-complete semantic/analyze/complete semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep
srecode/mode semantic/senator semantic/decorate pulse srecode/insert
srecode/filters srecode/args srecode/find srecode/map srecode/srt-mode
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
srecode/template srecode/srt-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
srecode/ctxt srecode/compile srecode/dictionary srecode/table srecode inversion
semantic/db-global semantic/symref/global semantic/symref semantic/db-find
semantic/db-ref cedet-global semantic/mru-bookmark semantic/db-mode semantic/db
eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet yasnippet readline-complete shell
pcomplete ac-etags auto-complete-config auto-complete popup smart-tabs-mode
magit-blame magit-key-mode magit view help-mode grep compile comint epa epg
epg-config diff-mode autorevert ansi-color git-rebase-mode git-commit-mode
log-edit pcvs-util add-log erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec
thingatpt pp netrc chep-notification mime-play filename emu invisible inv-23
poem poem-e20 poem-e20_3 mime-view mime-conf calist semi-def mime eword-decode
mel path-util mime-def mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20 pces-20 broken
pcustom poe std11 alist pym static apel-ver product mime-w3m w3m browse-url
doc-view jka-compr dired image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m
w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util
ac-etags-autoloads auto-complete-autoloads edit-server-autoloads magit-autoloads
git-rebase-mode-autoloads git-commit-mode-autoloads mediawiki-autoloads
popup-autoloads finder-inf readline-complete-autoloads smart-tabs-mode-autoloads
w3m-autoloads info yasnippet-autoloads package cl-macs gv server edmacro kmacro
chep-mode-line php-mode etags cc-langs cl cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe xcscope ring paren uniquify warnings chep-strike chep-couleur
chep-retourne chep-pastebin google_search ifndef_fichier_h appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs newst-backend xml derived
newsticker-notify advice help-fns cl-lib advice-preload fmanager
chep-convert-audio chep-video chep-mpd ampc easymenu avl-tree network-stream
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache starttls tls chep-anchor easy-mmode virtual-desktops
ido time battery cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)