Subject: Re: bug#16542: 24.3.50; When finding a file via a bookmark, that file is not part of file-name-history

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:29:13 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> FWIW: There are other cases (besides "via the bookmarks buffer") where
>> a file is visited but not added to the file-name-history.
>> 
>> Bug #12915 contains a general discussion about the matter.
>
> Yes, thank you, Dani.
>
> FWIW, I will repeat just this part from my post in that thread:
>
>    The proper solution is for commands that read file names to DTRT
>    wrt `file-name-history' - TRT for that command.
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you both for your input.

The #12915 bug report was quite a read.

There seem to be one consensus and one point of disagreement:

- consensus: the bug report calls for a general mechanism, as the same
  problem hit other commands;

- disagreement: such a general mechanism should be activated for all
  commands that find a file or only for specific commands (e.g. only
  interactive commands, [your rule here], or even no rule at all--as
  Drew suggests.)

I'm on Drew side here, I think a one-by-one approach is better,
whether there is a general mechanism or not (yet).

Since there is no strong objection for fixing the bookmark-jump case,
and since it's trivial to migrate this fix to a general solution when
we'll have one, I'm willing to apply the fix if no-one objects in a
week.

-- 
 Bastien