Subject: bug#16528: 24.3; too many keybindings in minibuffer-local-completion-map

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:00:51 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> minibuffer-local-completion-map binds SPC to minibuffer-complete-word
>> and ? to minibuffer-completion-help.  It should be possible without
>> too much hackery to run completing-read in a less obtrusive mode
>> where these keys simply insert the respective characters.
>
> Indeed, this binding can be annoying.  Some people use it heavily (and
> rarely use TAB, IIUC), tho, so removing it is a bit tricky, but it was
> annoying enough for files that file-name completion now uses a special
> map where SPC is not bound to minibuffer-complete-word any more.

Indeed -- I have

(define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map " " 'self-insert-command)
(define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map "?" 'self-insert-command)

in my ~/.emacs.

But I don't think we can change the defaults here (it would drive (some)
people crazy), so we'd be talking about adding a user option.  But I can
totally see some people wanting to only make space be self-inserting, or
just the question mark, and in that case, just doing the `define-key'
things is better for users, I think?

So I've just added that to the user manual, and I'm closing this bug
report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no