Subject: bug#16528: 24.3; too many keybindings in minibuffer-local-completion-map

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:16:26 -0800 (PST)

FWIW, in Icicles:

1. All of these keys are self-inserting: SPC, ?, C-j.
2. A separate key is used to word-complete: M-SPC, not TAB.

IOW, for word completion, just use a different key.

(I would request that you do not use any combination of keys or
modifiers with TAB or <backtab> for word completion, however.)

My feeling is that word completion is generally not very important,
but I provide a key for it.

To me, SPC is far more useful if it is self-inserting, not bound
to some completion command.  But then Icicles uses completion for
lots of things, including lots of kinds of candidates that have
embedded SPC chars.

I feel the same about ? and C-j (newline).  There is no good reason
for these not to be self-inserting, IMO.  Again, in Icicles there
are lots of kinds of completion candidates, including multi-line
ones and ones that have embedded ? chars.

HTH.