Subject: bug#16526: 24.3.50; scroll-conservatively & c-mode regression

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 07:47:06 +0000

Hi, Stefan.

On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 09:52:09PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > A long term solution may be to enhance the syntax bits of Emacs to
> > recognise "syntactic islands" (e.g. C preprocessor construct, shell
> > script "here documents" or literate programming chunks) somehow.

> Shell script's here-documents work just fine when considered
> as comments.  Literate programming also works well when considering the
> non-code as comments.
> Maybe the same would hold of CPP thingies.

Except that the "commented out" bits have their own syntactic structure.
Ideally, a shell script here document as argument to awk ought to be
parsed in AWK Mode.  The non-code bits of literate programming are also
likely to have their own structure.  CPP sections are handled as
C/C++/ObjC, but the complication caused by keeping them separate from
the main code are considerable.

>         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).