Subject: bug#16519: closed (Re: bug#16519: 24.3.50; gfile notifications not received in batch mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:45:04 +0000

Your bug report

#16519: 24.3.50; gfile notifications not received in batch mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16519: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16519
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16519: 24.3.50; gfile notifications not received in batch mode
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 12:43:57 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> What I meant to say was that the same method we use to read file
> notifications via gio should be used, directly or indirectly, where we
> call pselect, so that these events enter the event queue like any
> others.

Finally, I could fix this with a simple change in xg_select. Closing the bug.

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction, and best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.3.50; gfile notifications not received in batch mode
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:50:06 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

File notifications via gfilenotify are not received in batch
mode. Likely, the following actions must be taken (quoting Jan Djärv):

  So just switching to xg_select will not do.  You have to explicitly
  check if in batch mode, then check if GLib has file descriptors we
  don't know about, and then call xg_select in the main thread.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.20)
 of 2014-01-22 on detlef
Repository revision: 116098 [email-masked]
System Description:	Ubuntu 13.10

Configured using:
 `configure --with-file-notification=inotify'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 1 ; 3 2 0 1 ; 0 c ESC O Q ESC x r e p o r t 
TAB RET

Recent messages:
Reading active file via nnml...
Reading incoming mail from pop...
pop3 retrieved 0KB (0%) [7 times]
pop3 retrieved 4KB (100%) [5 times]
compressing 14147.gz...done
Wrote /home/albinus/Mail/default/14147.gz
nnml: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
Reading active file via nnml...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-gnu hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.4/debbugs-gnu
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.4/debbugs
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-autoloads hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.4/debbugs-autoloads
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-pkg hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.4/debbugs-pkg
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-python hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-python
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-scala hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scala
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ref
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-java hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-java
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-css hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-bibtex
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-ledger hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ledger
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ruby
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-irc hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-irc
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-entities hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-entities
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-agenda
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-html hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-html
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-core hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-core
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-md hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-md
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-compat
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-beamer hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-beamer
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-exp
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-C hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-C
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-matlab
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-org hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-org
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-archive
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-plot
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-install
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-octave
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-calc
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-bbdb
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-odt hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-odt
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sass
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lisp
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-indent
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-mouse
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-macs
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-timer
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-org hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-org
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-keys hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-keys
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-src
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-ctags
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-clojure
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-mobile
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-tangle
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-asymptote hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-table hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-table
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-makefile hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-makefile
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-publish hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-publish
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-macro hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-macro
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-man hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-man
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-latex hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-latex
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-table
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-colview
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-haskell
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-version hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-version
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-texinfo hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lob
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-mscgen hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-js
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-eval
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-eshell hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-eshell
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-feed
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-R hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-R
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-crypt
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-ascii hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-ascii
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-screen
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-w3m
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-mhe
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-attach
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-habit
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-clock
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-list
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-perl
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-fortran
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ox-icalendar hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-info hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-info
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-docview hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-docview
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-id
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-faces
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-rmail
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-shen hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-shen
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-capture hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-capture
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-element hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-element
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-latex
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-io hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-io
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-datetree
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-picolisp hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sql
~/src/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scheme
~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-smb hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-smb
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-uu hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-uu
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-adb hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-adb
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-cmds hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-cmds
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-cache hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-cache
~/src/tramp/lisp/trampver hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/trampver
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-ftp hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-ftp
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-sh hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-sh
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-loaddefs hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-loaddefs
~/lisp/dbus hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus
~/lisp/soap-client hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/soap-client
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-gw hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-gw
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-gvfs hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-gvfs
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-compat hides /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-compat

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug pop3 utf-7 nndraft nnmh nnimap
parse-time utf7 nnml netrc gnutls network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-cache
gnus-sum nnnil smtpmail sendmail gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source nnoo gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit xterm cperl-mode debbugs-autoloads
info easymenu magit-autoloads zeitgeist-autoloads package time tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
cl-macs gv trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec
advice help-fns cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib autorevert filenotify iswitchb
jka-compr icomplete time-date paren ps-print ps-def lpr vc vc-dispatcher
dired tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)