Subject: bug#16513: 24.3.50; doc string of `use-empty-active-region'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 20:20:18 -0800 (PST)

1. Remove the last part: ", and on the text near point otherwise."  It
is inappropriate and wrong.  (This is the reason I filed this bug.)

This is about commands that act differently depending on whether or
not the region is active.  Do not say anything about what the behavior
must be in either case: active or inactive.  Certainly, do not claim
that when the region is inactive such commands act on the text near
point. That is pure fantasy.

2. Simplify the following, which suggests that having an active region
is somehow different from having an active mark:

"If non-nil, region-aware commands treat the region as active as long as
the mark is active, even if the region is empty."  Just say: "If
non-nil, region-aware commands treat an active region as such, even if
it is empty."

3. Do not speak of "regions", as it can confuse people.  In any given
buffer at any moment there is only one region.  "The region" makes
sense; "regions" does not, unless you are talking about multiple
buffers.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-01-17 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 116059 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'