Subject: Re: bug#16513: 24.3.50; doc string of `use-empty-active-region'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 17:54:18 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. Remove the last part: ", and on the text near point otherwise."  It
> is inappropriate and wrong.  (This is the reason I filed this bug.)
>
> This is about commands that act differently depending on whether or
> not the region is active.  Do not say anything about what the behavior
> must be in either case: active or inactive.  Certainly, do not claim
> that when the region is inactive such commands act on the text near
> point. That is pure fantasy.

I think I understand what Chong was trying to express here now.

---
Region-aware commands are those that act on the region if it is
active and Transient Mark mode is enabled, and on the text near
point otherwise.
---

This explains the concept of "region-aware" commands -- they typically
switch between acting on the stuff around point and the stuff in the
region.  Like `DEL', which deletes the region if it is active, and the
previous character if not.

So I don't think it's wrong...

> 2. Simplify the following, which suggests that having an active region
> is somehow different from having an active mark:
>
> "If non-nil, region-aware commands treat the region as active as long as
> the mark is active, even if the region is empty."  Just say: "If
> non-nil, region-aware commands treat an active region as such, even if
> it is empty."

No, I like the mention of the mark, which helps my understanding of what
it's saying.

> 3. Do not speak of "regions", as it can confuse people.  In any given
> buffer at any moment there is only one region.  "The region" makes
> sense; "regions" does not, unless you are talking about multiple
> buffers.

I've fixed that now.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no