Subject: bug#16505: Acknowledgement (24.3.50; Emacs seems to loose key events when typing fast (seriously))

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 10:47:27 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 16:14:10 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
> 
> I have seen Emacs drop characters if you keep Emacs busy doing other
> things, like showing an animated image.  Emacs didn't use to lose
> characters in that scenario.

I have a hard time believing this.  Unless the OS itself drops the
characters (and I don't think any modern OS does), you'd have to come
with a plausible hypothesis for how this can happen on a particular OS
with a particular mechanism of keyboard input handling by Emacs on
that OS.

Doesn't the OS buffer keys without discarding them until the
application actually reads them?

On systems that use interrupts for Emacs keyboard input, what happens
with the keys you type if the interrupts are blocked for prolonged
times?  I hope Emacs never ignores these interrupts, but what happens
if it does?

Once a key was read by Emacs, there's simply no mechanism in Emacs I
know of to "drop" it.