Subject: bug#16503: 24.3; make-frame's user-position doesn't work

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 18:37:54 -0700

Todd Allen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Issuing the following expression:
>    (make-frame '((user-position . t) (left . 100) (top . 100)))
> creates a new frame with only a program-specified position in the
> WM_NORMAL_HINT, instead of a user-specified position.
>
> I started noticing this in the emacs 24.x series, but didn't track down
> the cause of the ultimate problem until now.  The above worked in emacs 23.x.

(I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately gotten no
responses yet.)

I haven't looked at the low-level values passed here, but eval-ing that
form seems to do what you'd expect -- opening a frame at 100x100 (in
Emacs 27, at least).

Has this started working again, or if not -- do you have a recipe that
will display the bug?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no