Subject: 24.3; make-frame's user-position doesn't work

From: Todd Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 15:33:33 -0700

Issuing the following expression:
   (make-frame '((user-position . t) (left . 100) (top . 100)))
creates a new frame with only a program-specified position in the
WM_NORMAL_HINT, instead of a user-specified position.

I started noticing this in the emacs 24.x series, but didn't track down
the cause of the ultimate problem until now.  The above worked in emacs 23.x.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.9.10)
 of 2013-08-14 on buildvm-08.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.10800000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib'
 '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg'
 '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xft' '--with-xpm'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'
 'build_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -m32 -march=i686 -mtune=atom
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-: ( m a k e SPC - <backspace> <backspace> - f r a 
m e SPC ' ( ( u s e r - p o s i t i o n SPC . t SPC 
) <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> SPC t SPC <backspace> 
) S-SPC ( l e f t SPC . SPC 1 0 0 ) S-SPC ( t o p SPC 
. SPC 1 0 0 ) ) ) <return> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> M-x <help-echo> 
r e o r t <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> p o r 
t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
#<frame emacs@raven 0xa37a308>

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Todd Allen